Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Bear & A Walking Stick


For my post about the Multi-purpose Walking Stick in needed some photos so I took my walking stick for a walk. I took a few photos but was unhappy with the lighting so I decided to return on a cloudy day. When mentally composing the walking stick post I kept reminding myself to add a comment about adorning your stick with a bear bell while in bear country. I even had a written reminder.

The next day was cloudy so I returned to take more shots. As I walked the logging road I didn’t see my footsteps from the day before. It had sprinkled rain that morning but not enough to remove my footprints. Then I noticed large bare footprints…no they were large BEAR tracks going in my direction.

Now I was curious to see which came first; the bear tracks or my old footprints? So I continued on thinking to myself; I should take my own advice and put my bear bell on my walking stick. That’s right…the bear bell I gave to a bell collector about 25 years ago. Talk about afterthought!

With my mind wandering, I proceeded until I noticed I was on the wrong logging road. That’s why I couldn’t find yesterday’s footprints. Then I remembered that the day before I chose a different trail at the last minute. The footprint mystery solved.

I eventually found a suitable low branch for my photo but I never did find that bear.

Until the next post: When in bear country do as the bears do; put a bell on your walking stick!

OR_Maverick
Deer Mountain Sno-Park, Ca: n 41 34.255 w 122 07.857 5,825 ft

2 comments:

  1. Be careful with the bears! I'm guessing the bell collector holding your bear bell is Mom. It would be a pretty big guilt trip for her if you were eaten by a bear while your bell is sitting in her display case!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete