Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Look What I Found Treasure Hunting!

I told you in my last Treasure Hunting post that you would be amazed at what you will find with your metal detector. I walked across a dry lake bed (Lake Shastina, Ca) to see what I would find. Here’s the result:
  • $.45
  • 6 golf balls
  • Assorted rusted fishing lures and weights
  • 1 horseshoe
  • 1 abandon sluice box!

Notice not everything on the list is metallic. Treasure hunting gets you out of the RV and exploring your surroundings. I would never have found a great photo opportunity like this one without my Tesoro metal detector. (I’ll bet there’s a great story behind a sluice box in a reservoir lake bed.)

The next day I tried my luck around a fire ring at Pilgrim Creek Sno-park. I found 16 coins ($1.47) in 45 min. Two other fire rings only netted me 1 penny.

To get you geared-up and out treasure hunting check out Treasure Hunting Tips.

Until the next post: Remember Ben Franklin’s famous words; “a penny found is a penny earned”.

OR_Maverick
Pilgrim Creek Sno-Park, Ca N 41° 20.20’ W 121° 59.75’ 3,170 ft

3 comments:

  1. You will soon be rich.
    O.K. I give up...what is a sluice box?
    Never heard of it here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting photo. Man hasn't destroyed every-
    thing nature YET. Great information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sluice box is a gold miners device that separates placer gold from the gravel.
    Fast running water (usually a river) washes away the dirt leaving the heavier gold behind. My guess is in this case pumps were used to flush the sluice with water as there is no naturally running water. Pay dirt was likely imported from a more arid mining site.

    ReplyDelete