Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Multi-purpose Walking Stick


Your walking stick could save you money on costly RV repairs!

When hiking I like to carry a walking stick. As a walking stick it has many obvious uses of which you are aware. I modified my favorite saguaro cactus rib walking stick (insert 1) to help me select suitable RV camping sites. A mark on the stick (a green stone) will tell me if there are any obstacles in my path. This allows me to avoid minor dents and major costly RV repairs.


As I walk the path to a potential site I check for branches too low or too narrow, ruts too deep and stumps too tall. At the site I can determine if there is enough room to set-up the awning or not. I can determine all this with one outstretched arm and my walking stick.


Each of us differs in height so no 2 walking sticks will be marked alike. Here is how to mark your walking stick.
Stand behind your RV shoulder to one side. Extend your arm and walking stick adjusting your grip until your stick is aligned with the side other of your RV (insert 2). Using a piece of tape or other means mark your thumb’s location on your walking stick. Do the same for your RV’s height and awning.
Find the area on your RV that is the closest to the ground. Set your walking stick next to the area and mark its location. I turned my walking stick upside down.


When all the marks where tallied on my walking stick they were within inches of each other. Since I am not interested in splitting hairs when backing my RV into tight spots, I chose the longest dimension and called it good. As my walking stick is short, that mark also works for ground clearance as well.

To use your walking stick hold it by your mark and extend your arm or place it on the ground next to raised obstacles to check for ground clearance (inserts 3 & 4).

Now pace off the length of your RV and you have all the dimensions you need. If you have difficulty remembering the number of paces, write it on your walking stick.

Until the next post: Remember; when your RV meets an immovable object…it always looses.

OR_Maverick
Deer Mountain Sno-Park, Ca: n 41 34.255 w 122 07.857 5825 ft

No comments:

Post a Comment